Tech Tip: Following at Twitter


File:Twitter logo.svg
This is one of Twitter's logos.

Over time, how I see Twitter's function in society has evolved. At first, I thought Twitter was just a place that you followed your favorite celebrities to get a little taste of their life out of curiosity. Then, I saw Twitter become a platform where people from all over the world can connect over similar interests. I will be completely honest: the only reason that I even started using Twitter was because I was a very big fan of a popular boy band and I definitely had to be a part of the kingdom of fans. Today, when I learn that a famous celebrity has passed or there is a big political happening or there is a natural disaster unraveling around the world, Twitter has become the first place that I go. This is because at first, I just want to get the gist of what is happening in less than 280 characters. This is also because I want to know how people that I do and do not know all over the world feel about what is happening, especially different political figures and scholars. To me, Twitter helps me view the world like a sociologist because it helps me analyze public opinion, how people form into groups based on different interests, and how these groups react to different circumstances. Who you follow on Twitter is very important because they are in charge of the information you are exposed to and their credibility, biases, and interests can heavily impact your own view of the world.

Outsides of people that I follow because they are my friends, my favorite accounts that I follow are:

Media or news outlets:
The Economist
Foreign Policy
New York Times
Wall Street Journal
Grist
Brookings Institute
Vox
Natural Resources Defense Council
Pew Research Center
Spectator Index

Political pundits or figures:
Bill Maher
Eugene Gu, MD
Ed Krassenstein
Climate scientist Peter Gleick
Pew Researcher Conrad Hackett

Local organizations and figures in Oklahoma City:
City of OKC
OKC Reporter Steve Meyer
Mayor David Holt
Representative Forrest Bennett
OKCTalk.com
Keep OK Beautiful

Pages that I think are fun:
History in Pictures
Humans of Late Capitalism
Non-aesthetic things
China Daily

Comments

Popular Posts