Introduction - Arti Patel

Hey everybody!

My name is Arti Patel and I'm a senior at OU studying International Security (IS) and Economics . The coolest part about being an IS major is that we have flexibility in the sense that we get to align our own interests with what region or field we are interested in studying by defining what "security" means to us individually. For example, you could have a focus on securing your nation from external threats and go into the field of defense or aim to join the FBI, you can focus on securing the cyber world and study cybersecurity, or you could also want to secure the quality of life for those around the world and have a focus on international aid and development. For me personally, I strongly believe that security is having the resources needed to sustain the lives of individuals and their society to create an environment in which the people can thrive. For my own interest in the field, I want to focus on the security of our most basic, yet most necessary, resource that we need to sustain our society: water. I'm interested in conflict over transboundary bodies of water (particular in South and East Asia) and also the economics of water and its commercialization. Throughout my time at OU, I have found China to be my favorite country to study and I hope I get to carry my love for the country into my future study, career, and travels.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people walking, people standing and outdoor

This is a photo of my dad and I in San Fransisco's Chinatown, my favorite city in the United States. (Source: My mother took this photo of us on my phone in May 2018)

Some random facts about me:
  • I'm a Canadian. You can check out this post of mine if you want to learn a little about my favorite place in Canada that embodies my love for the country.
  • I'm very passionate about education. Two years ago, my friends asked me if I wanted to help them start an organization which aims to provide academic resources to students in Norman who have the most limited access to them and since then, we have provided academic mentorship to around 20 kids a week. That was a shameless plug meant to catch the attention of anyone who would like to mentor a middle school or high school student. You can check out our website or message me if you're interested in helping us make an impact on the next generation!
  • I'm an aspiring polymath. I always thought that when studying IS, what I mostly needed was a strong knowledge of history, politics, and geography. It wasn't until my friend who loved philosophy made me understand that what I can learn from delving into other disciplines such as philosophy, ethics, and economics, is very crucial in strengthening my ability to solve problems and make the strongest and most equitable decisions. 
  • I hope to study abroad in China. I'm in love with Chinese politics, culture, history, art, and the study of its economy and environment.
  • I hope to attend law school after I graduate in May 2019!

Comments

Popular Posts