Ramayana Reading Notes C: The Golden Deer, The Chase, and Ravana and Sita



File:Maricha dress like a deer with golden deer skin and present himself to Sita.jpg
Maricha pretending to be a golden deer to gain the attraction of Sita.
(Source: Wikipedia Commons)

Maricha transformed in the shape of a golden deer, hoping to catch the attention of Sita in the forest and he did exactly that. While Sita was walking through the trees she saw the deer and immediately called Rama so that he would also see the dazzling animal. Sita wanted to catch this deer so that she could keep it as a companion, so Rama set out to capture it, asking Lakshmana for his help, but Lakshmana was hesitant. He knew that rakshasas often took the shape of deer to trick others.Sita begged Rama to capture the deer, despite Rama's skepticism. "I have seen every animal in this jungle, but I have not seen one this a deer this rare, let alone this beautifully breathtaking. I must have it to cherish for life!"

Source. Prose: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913), Verse: Ramayana, The Epic of Rama, Prince of India, condensed into English verse by Romesh Dutt (1899). 

Rama set out to chase the deer, and after sneaking up on it, he shot it with an arrow and then Maricha jumped out of the deer's body and screamed out for help, but screaming out in the voice of Rama. " Lakshmana! Sita! Please save me!", and then he died. “Did you hear that?”, Sita said to Lakshmana. “That was the cry of Rama! You must go save him.” Lakshmana, confident in his brother’s strength and abilities said, “I do not fear for Rama, as he can handle anything in this forest. If it will really make you feel better, I will go find him for you, even though I know danger lurks in this forest.” “Please go find him”, Sita said, “If anything happens to him, I will no longer have a reason to live and I am better off moving onto my next life.”

SourceIndian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). 

Lakshmana left Sita to go look For Rama, making it the perfect time for Ravana to catch Sita alone. Ravana took the form of a forest sage and approached Sita. She saw that Sita was upset so Ravana asked what a beautiful woman like her was doing sad and alone in the forest and Sita told him everything, starting from
Rama's exile, to his chase of the deer. "SILLY WOMAN. I am not a sage. I am Ravana! You have taken my heart, so now I must take you as my wife!" 

Sita could not believe it. "Do you know who my husband is? I am wife to Rama, the most sinless and the most strong man in all of the lands. I will always stay by his side, no matter how much gold and luxury you can offer me!". Ravana scoffed. "I can even slay Yama! Your husband is no match for me.". Ravana expanded to his true form as a giant, towering demon and then grabbed Sita, placed her in her Chariot, and took her away, as she screamed for Rama to save her.

Source. Prose: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913), Verse: Ramayana, The Epic of Rama, Prince of India, condensed into English verse by Romesh Dutt (1899). 

Comments

Popular Posts