Reading Notes – Ramayana, Part B: Rama and Bharata

Bharata confronts his brother, Rama, in the forest.
19th-century painting.

Bharata went to the forest to go find his dear brother and when they finally crossed paths, they embraced and Bharata could not hold back his tears as he told his brother about the death of their father. They both mourned together, resenting the series of events that led to where they were now. Bharata said, "Oh dear brother! I was never meant to be the king of Ayodha. Please come back and take place as the Maharajah, despite my mother's wishes." Rama calmly shook his head and said "I can't. Not only would I be breaking my vow to banish myself to the jungle, but I would also be breaking my promise to our father and that is just not something that I can do."

Jabali, the late king's closest advisor interjected saying, "Rama. your father has departed earth, so why do you feel as if you have to keep your promises to him? You only have one life and one chance to be king. Don't waste it being foolish. Your life ends after your death so take advantage of your time in this body and life. What is the point of making offerings to the dead if their soul now lives in another one? There is no point! Your vow is void and that is why you should say yes to being king and go back to Ayodha!". "Jabali". Rama said. "I know that you have good intentions, but I have committed to the path of a life of virtue and I can not turn around and walk down the road of evil. The gods know my genuine motives and they would never accept that I life a life as you suggest. I am going to keep the promise that I made to my father and spend the next fourteen years in this jungle." "Brother, Rama. Let me fulfill this vow to Dasharatha instead and you go be king while I live your sentence in this jungle. "said Bharata. "No, Bharata. I will maintain my vow to the late king as it was made."

Source. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

Comments

Popular Posts