Famous Last Words: Diwali

Image result for diwali
Some girls lighting some lamps for Diwali!

Hey guys! Some of you might know that I am Indian and my parents are Hindu (I dictate my way of life by Hindu teachings and believe in much of the spiritual "phenomenon" of Hinduism, but I don't ascribe to any certain religion). With that being said, one of my favorite Hindu fesitivals is coming up: Diwali. The name "Diwali" stems from the Sanskrit word "dipavali" which means "row of lights". During Diwali, people light rows of candles and lamps on the night of the new-moon to invite the Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth, into our homes. Diwali is a five day festival that entails a lot of celebrating, dancing, eating, and spending time with your loved ones. On the fourth day of Diwali, my mother and I always clean out home and perform certain rituals to cleanse our home of the past year and invite in the new. For most communities that celebrate Diwali, there is usually a gathering at a community hall where people perform dances that they have practiced for months to Indian music, both old and new! On Saturday, November 3rd, OU will be having a Diwali show, presented by the Indian Student Association. I highly encourage people to go if they're interested in dance, as the dancers have probably worked very hard to perfect their performance and the dances are mesmerizing! If you're interested in learning more about Diwali, I would definitely do a quick Google search or click here, as you will encounter others who celebrate Diwali for the rest of your life!

Comments

Popular Posts