Tech Tip: Online Typing Tests

I liked TypingTest.com because it allows you to choose the amount of time you want to be tested for and what exact excerpt you want to type, but I also equally liked Key Hero because it was a quick test that gives you a random quote to type so you don't have to fuss with any of the logistics. I like how Key Hero shows you the errors that I made while I was typing, while Typing Test only told me how many errors that I had made. Key Hero also highlights a word red if you mistype it, while Typing Test does not, which I like because it is easy to know that I need to delete it and retype it but I also do not like it because that is not realistic when compared to normal typing.

I think both tests were equally effective in measuring my typing speed. It would be nice to be able to type even faster, but I think 65-68 words per minute is already pretty fast and I think that typing faster would mean making more mistakes, taking up more time in the end. I have not taken the time to improve my typing skills since elementary school because I feel like I have unintentionally practiced every day since the second grade. I'm happy that I took these typing tests because sometimes, job listings list "able to type x amount of words per minute" as a requirement so it would be good to know how much the company posting the job advertisement values a fast typer.

My Typing Test report
(Source: Screenshot taken by me)

My Key Hero Report
(Source: Screenshot taken by me)

Comments

Popular Posts