Tech Tips: Google Define and Etymology Look-Up

I typed "define celestial" into the Google search bar because I see the word "celestial" a lot in the Indian epics that we read. I have always thought that "celestial" had to do with the cosmos, but I was not sure of the exact definition. The photo below shows the definitions that the Google Dictionary attributes to "celestial". Although I do not know as much as Latin as I wish I did (fingers crossed I go to law school so I can learn more!), I love learning new Latin words and roots that I can look for in other words that I do not know to understand what they might mean. I think the flow chart that the etymology search gives is SO cool. I was not shocked to see that "celestial" was influenced by French, as it was my first guess!

I think learning new vocabulary is extremely important when it comes to trying to convey a specific message with language that evokes the imagery and emotions that you aim to evoke. Usually when I search a new word that I know that I will come across again in the future, I add it to this list that I have in my planner. Writing down a word and the definition makes it easier for me to remember them, but seeing them everytime I add a new word to the list makes the word and the meaning stick in my memory! When I had more time, instead of a list, I would make a Quizlet flashcard deck with words that I came across when reading to learn the definition and add the word to my vocabulary. I think I might actually start doing that again!

This is the definition that Google gave me for "celestial" from Merriam-Webster
(Source: I took this screenshot on my computer)


This is the etymology that Google gave me for "celestial" from Etymonline.com
(Source: I took this screenshot on my computer)


Comments

Popular Posts