Week 8 Reading and Writing

Looking Back: The reading and writing assignments in this class are pretty feasible and straightforward, although I will say that keeping up with the reading notes and storytelling assignments can be a little difficult for me because I usually do not have any free time in the week (without having to trade off getting enough sleep a.k.a. maintaining my sanity) until friday. I think that my reading notes could be more useful if I stopped writing them like they are primarily created to be written by others. I need to focus more of my notes on things that stand out to me in the story and will be useful in my own story, rather than trying to make sure that the reader of my notes can understand the original story without having to read it.

A new reading strategy that I started using in this class, and I now also use in every other class, is using text to voice apps and extensions. I wrote a tech tip on the read aloud voice reader that I downloaded, which will read any words that I highlight and select out loud to me. This is awesome to use to have stories read to me because I can control how fast or slow I want the reader to go and this lets me zoom through simple stories without getting distracted while I read along, and it also let's me slow down the reader for readings that have much more going on that I need to absorb as I read.


File:Ahalya.jpg
A painting of Ahalya by Ravi Varma.
(Source: Wikipedia Commons)

I love seeing this image of Ahalya, the woman from The Story of Ahalya that I wrote a story about. In this photo, she looks simply lovely and so beautiful and I can't help but romanticizethat Indra fell in love with her, despite the fact that she was an ordinary woman on earth. I had fun writing a story about her and I really enjoyed the opportunity to put an empowering spin on the original story where she got to escape her negligent husband, Gautam

Looking Forward: I am going to try two new note taking styles. First, I am going to take notes that use more bullet points and are more concise. I just want to track the plot of the stories because I usually change up the characters and the setting so there is no point of me taking in-depth notes on elements that won't reappear in my storytelling. The second new style will be the opposite, in which I write my notes using the same language as I plan to write in my story. This is more how I've been writing my notes now, but I often find myself trying to shorten up the sentences in my notes for the sake of "taking notes", when I usually feel the most creative when I'm actually reading the story and thinking about how things could have gone different for the characters, rather than when I'm looking over my notes at the end. This will just mean that I will be less hesitant to include sentences from notes into my stories verbatim, especially in stories that have a use of language that I want to mimic.

Comments

Popular Posts